Thanks to Ciovala over at Rift Nexus
for a truly amazing video and commentary series covering the Gamescom footage and booth. One of the things that stood out to me and that I was excited to see, was the bit of instanced Dungeon news that we got. In particular this video about the Iron Tomb:
A few observations after watching that video, if I may:
- For a game still in Alpha, it sure looks polished. Animations, sounds, pretty much everything looks polished and ready to go.
- Speaking of polished, the mob AI seems to be eons better than WAR had has. WAR mob pathing and AI seems to be all over the map and was one big reason why WAR PvE was so poor. Doesn’t seem to be the case here. Mobs path nicely and move naturally.
- The room with the Shades was really cool. Having to move from light orb to light orb and use the bright light from each to drive back the shadows is pretty epic. Love it.
- Aggro mechanics seem to be in place and work solidly, another hurray for polish! I saw the tank lose aggro a couple of times and then yank it back with some sort of taunt. The rogue, as rogues are wont to do, pulled aggro a few times, causing the tank to have to grab it back. Sounds like a typical PuG!
- For a low level instance the few bits of boss fights we saw are promising. Neither seemed to be pure tank and spanks and that bodes well for later instances.
- The instance seems massive, which again bodes well for higher instances.
All in all, I am pretty happy with my first good look at a R:PoT instance. Hopefully this quality and polish will continue through the rest of the instances in the game. I love me some good instances!