What do we know about PvP in Rift: Planes of Telara? Not a lot unfortunately. We know there will be PvE and PvP servers. We know that there will be battlegrounds of some sort, called Warfronts in Rift. That is about it. There just has not been a lot of information given about PvP by the developers.
That being said, I have a lot of hope for PvP in Rift. From the little that has been said I think PvP will be very reminiscent of the early World of Warcraft days. Lots of ganking, controlled battlegrounds and not much else. There is still room for PvP content before release and I hope to hear about some soon. What do I want to see and not want to see in Rift PvP? How about a list?
- I would like to see World PvP objectives. Be they keep sieges or fighting over Rifts. Give us a reason to do World PvP. Make it fun and worthwhile by rewarding us with gear, experience or some other type of incentive.
- I do not want to see cross-server Battleground queues. Worried about queue times? Then balance the server population to minimize them. I have many arguments about why I do not like cross-server battlegrounds and those reasons can be found right here. I made this post this evening on the official Rift forums and there is some interesting conversation happening both for and against cross-server battlegrounds. Check it out.
- Less guards on PvP servers. Blizzard went out of their minds adding too many guards on PvP servers. I understand the need to have a few guards here and there but on a PvP server please keep them to a minimum. We rolled on PvP servers to fight against other players, not against NPC guards. Please keep that in mind.
- Don’t over-penalize ganking. Ganking was a rite of passage in early WoW and I, personally, think that is the best way to do it. Making too many rules about who you can and can not attack on a PvP server just ruins the experience. Again, if someone does not want to partake in World PvP there are PvE servers to accommodate them.
- I want to see a large quest/instance area where a lot of players congregate and is PvP enabled. Think Blackrock Mountain in WoW. Before TBS that was the endgame hotspot. Guilds congregated there, groups flocked there and it made for some amazing World PvP. You fought to get into Blackrock and you fought to get out. Some of my nights in Blackrock Mountain was among my most fun times in any MMO. I would like to see it replicated here.
- Please, no arenas. Arenas helped kill World PvP and had an adverse effect on the server community. I don’t want to see them here, at least not in the way Blizzard implemented them.
So, there you have it, my PvP Manifesto for Rift: Planes of Telara. Like it? Hate it? Let me know!